Below are current job openings at Freedom for Immigrants. Join our team!
Position Title: Director of Philanthropy
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until filled
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Exempt; Full-time
Location: The position is based in Santa Monica, California.
About the Position
We are looking for an ambitious, energetic, and thoughtful Director of Philanthropy who is passionate about our mission, and ready to learn, grow, and leave their comfort zone. Reporting to and in partnership with the co-Executive Directors, the Director of Philanthropy will spearhead development efforts as Freedom for Immigrants continues to grow. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function.
- Develop and execute Freedom for Immigrants’ annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations, with a particular focus on building up an individual donor base
- Seek out and attend networking and other events on a regular basis to meet new potential high networth donors, particularly in the Los Angeles area
- Manage Freedom for Immigrants’ budget and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors
- Oversee organization of special events, mostly intimate house parties
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- Must love building new relationships and be willing to learn, grow, and leave their comfort zone
- Must be passionate about abolishing immigration detention and about Freedom for Immigrants’ strategy for doing so, but no prior experience working in this field is required
- Must have experience creating blueprints for organizational sustainability
- Must have experience in nonprofit development and/or in engaging philanthropists for a cause
- Must be a strong writer
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Experience working in a development role with a start-up nonprofit is a plus
Foreign-born professionals are particularly encouraged to apply,
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
There is no language requirement, but fluency in Spanish is a plus.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, answering the following questions:
- Of all the donor gifts you played a role in, which was the most gratifying, and why?
- What have philanthropists taught you that you didn't know before you began fundraising for social change?
- Why do you want to work for Freedom for Immigrants?
Please send them to Christina Fialho at CFialho@freedomforimmigrants.org with “Philanthropy Director" in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.